Thursday, October 2, 2008

Our ceremony location has been picked.

We have a ceremony venue!! Woohoo! We have decided to marry in a church. His childhood church as a matter of fact. I had originally had my heart set on marrying outdoors and having a tented reception with the wind blowing in my hair as my veil swayed in the breeze. Can't you see it?! Not to hot, not to cold, drinks flowing, passed hot and cold Hor d'oeuvres. Nice, right? Oh, and it would have been on or very near the water! Oh, well. Since this venue meant so much to my awesome future husband, how could I deny him such a meaningful request. Therefore, request granted! So a church ceremony it is. Now, this is NOT just "some" church. It is a historical landmark. I fell in love with the stained glass windows and the lovely character of the building.

This church was the first brick church building owned by African Americans in Charleston and was purchased in 1882 by members of Emanuel AME Church to alleviate its overcrowded conditions. The 54th & 55th Massachusetts worshipped here while stationed in Charleston. With its six different choirs, it is the only church in Charleston that offers the widest variety of service music, ranging from classical to original unarranged Negro spirituals that date before the 1900s.

Peace, Angela

No comments: